Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sweet Lies

Liar, liar pants on fire... this is how we grow up viewing the idea of untruths, deceptions, and deliberate omissions. But, is there such a thing as a "sweet lie"? These Fleetwood Mac lyrics come to mind: "Tell me lies. Tell me lies. Tell me sweet little lies." You see there are those brief periods in life when we think we have it all figured out. We are doing everything we ever wanted to do, married to the person of our dreams, have the greatest of intelligence, and are just plain too cool. These delusions last but mere moments but in those moments you are happy, even powerful. Then comes the truth. We don't have it figured out. How dare we even think that? Utter shame and sadness follow this new consciousness. I think this is exactly where "sweet lies" exist. That bubble of exhilaration and accomplishment will eventually burst, but the waiting just a little longer before the revelation can be considered a "sweet lie".
Emma thinks she can whistle. She thinks she is an expert whistler. She squeals "whoo-whoo" in a high pitched voice with her lips puckered tight and then smiles wide, "Did you hear my whistle?". "That was an amazing whistle!", we all say. Then Emma says, "I can do it with two fingers." She opens her puckered lips just wide enough to get two fingers in her mouth and lets out an even more shrill "whoo-whoo". An even bigger smile spreads across her face and I applaud. I couldn't dare tell her the hideous truth that those were not whistles just noises and anyone can make them. No, she will figure that out soon enough. Today, she is an amazing whistler all due to a little "sweet lie".
Ciao, Areli

1 comment:

  1. Aw- Sher whistled in the exact same way. Too funny and this is a classic arugment for a good ol white lie.
    BTW I think that your "out of the mouth of babes" idea is so good. I wish I had written down some of the funny things my kids said.

    ReplyDelete